Do you know that you are basically poisoning yourself every time you put on perfume?
We wear it with the intent we will look better, smell better, attract the opposite sex and the list goes on and on. Its seems innocent enough, but its not.
The perfume companies are making killer money off their products.
What they are really selling is chemicals and toxins. Pricey chemicals and toxins.
There are harmful chemicals in a lot of beauty products like shampoo, lotions, sunscreens and makeup.
As a society, we are starting to recognize this and to minimize our toxic load.
We are buying organic produce.
We are buying all natural lotions and face cream.
We are going in saunas to detox.
We are buying sulfate free shampoo.
We are going sober.
We are doing cleanses.
But, a lot of us are missing out on one, perfume.
Our bodies are only capable of filtering so many toxins on any given day. We overload them.
- FOOD AND DRINKS= TOXINS
- MAKEUP = TOXINS
- AIR WE BREATHE- TOXINS
- LOTIONS = TOXINS
- PERFUME + DEODORANT = TOXINS
- AND TONS MORE.
It is this toxic overload that is causing the problems. Some toxin intake is out of our control, but we dont realize how much control we do have over seemingly innocent things like perfume.
I used to be addicted to perfume, literally. Ask any of my friends, I have a collection of over 30 perfumes, none of which I have touched in over a year.
NOT AFTER FINDING THIS OUT:
- Unlike food manufacturers who must list the majority of their ingredients, fragrance manufactures don’t have to. They’re allowed to hide behind ‘trade secret’ blends to protect their concoctions, and leave consumers in the dark about the allergens, irritants and toxins contained in every spritz
- Fragrance contains all sorts of chemical compounds. A number of those defined as carcinogens by California’s Prop 65 Program and the National Toxicology Program (NTP), such as pyridine, benzophenone, methyleugenol and styrene.
- Add to the mix a few more hormone-disrupting chemicals – like synthetic musks and diethyl phthalate, which are associated with reproductive and fertility problems in men and women – and fragrance becomes a very ugly business.
- Your perfume may not include any flowers, plants or fruits at all! Those smells most likely didn’t come from Mother Earth. They were created in a lab using 2500 + ingredients (that they don’t have to specify)…… if that doesn’t scare you I don’t know what does.
- Fragrance also exposes you to chemicals that can trigger allergies, migraines, kidney and liver problems, to name a few. If that weren’t enough, there’s also evidence to suggest that some of the toxins found in fragrances may also contribute to neurological degeneration.
And we are wearing this to smell good for a couple of hours?!?!? The insanity!!!
Some other things to be careful about:
- It doesn’t have to be low end drug store brands, your Chanel perfume is made of the same ingredients.
- Believe it or not, many unscented personal care products may still contain numerous dangerous chemical ingredients, to make them smell ‘unscented,’ so beware of unscented products…
- Products can hide the toxins in their labels by one small word ‘fragrance’. Make sure you read all the labels on your products. Some will claim all natural, and have the word ‘parfum’ or ‘fragrance’ in there. Be careful!
So now that I have completely turned you off perfume (or at least I should hope I have)
what do I suggest you wear instead?
Not only are they all natural, but they are actually good for you. I am not going to go into the specific benefits of essential oils but you can read them here.
They smell delicious and there are tons of scents to choose from.
My favorite is lavender and orange.
They also help with my anxiety.
The two most basic ways I use essential oils are:
- You can create a body spray with about 4 ounces of water and 5 drops of essential oils into a spray bottle.
- You can use a carrier oil- like a jojoba oil or coconut oil and drop a couple drops onto your wrist. Rub your wrists together and on to your neck.
The smell lasts just as long as any regular perfume.
You must make sure that you are getting high grade, pure essential oils.
All natural non toxic products are the way to go. Don’t create toxic overload on your one precious body.
Switch out for non toxic anything when possible.
And if you absolutely have to wear perfume or cologne….. do so on very special occasions.